Books In The Wild

Books In The Wild
1. to share and explore books with those we know and those we haven't yet met.
2. to explore the journey a book takes us on.
3. to release books in to the wild.

26 July 2012

No Time For Goodbye - Linwood Barclay

Every year for Christmas Santa fills my stocking with a pile of books. They're often ones with a Book Club sticker and aren't always ones I'd choose for myself but who's going to argue with Santa? This book, 'No Time For Goodbye', came from such a haul. It's a private eye thriller that slips into a Sam Spade tone, or at least my version based on a childhood memory of Humphrey Bogart in 'The Maltese Falcon'.


I enjoyed the book. It was a fast read and kept me entertained. One slight niggle, I felt too much was given away by the italicised narrative told by an anonymous, shadowy figure. For me it gave too much away, unravelling the story and dispelling tension before the main characters got a chance to work things out. Through this extra narrative I always felt I was one step ahead of Terry and his search for the truth, a place I'm not sure I wanted to be. I'm really looking forward to hearing what other people thought of the device, and whether it added or removed the thrill of the thriller.


I'm also looking forward to hearing from people as I have no idea if anyone picked it up. I managed to walk away after leaving it on a table at Weymouth Sealife Centre. Getting brave.


Please feel free to comment on this book. It doesn't have to be a 'wild' copy you've read. 

'No Time for Goodbye' is the third release of 'Books in the Wild'.

No comments:

Post a Comment